Monday, September 1, 2008

06. Blue Cheese Dressing


Date Cooked: August 28, 2008
Recipe: 6
Page: 80

It was this dressing that prompted the torture of manually whisking oil and egg into mayonnaise. I felt like a salad since we were leaving for small vacation for the labour day weekend and I didn’t want to come home to a fridge full of less than fresh leftovers. A simple salad was my choice and I felt that throwing together a homemade dressing for it would be nice. With some blue cheese sitting in the fridge I felt this was an opportune time to utilize the ‘Best’ book. It had a simple blue cheese dressing recipe so I dove in… only to realize I was out of mayonnaise. So I figured I could just make my own (see previous post). I’ll be sure to stock my fridge better in the future.

Nothing could be easier than mashing the buttermilk and blue cheese together and then mixing in the rest of the ingredients. At first when I tasted the dressing I was a little concerned. The blue cheese was muted and overall I wasn’t too enthusiastic. I covered it and put it in the fridge for about an hour as we finished a few other things around the house. When it was time to eat I was really excited about the dressing… that was until I took my first bite! While resting in the fridge the flavors had a chance to meld and the sharp flavor of the blue cheese came through bold but without over-powering the dressing. It was delicious!

Reflecting back on this dressing I will definitely make it again the next time I have some blue cheese. I’m not sure the worth of homemade mayonnaise in it but next time I make it I’ll see if off the shelf mayonnaise impacts the flavor.

The Next Day
Well technically this was a few days later but I still had a little bit left over so I threw a quick salad together to finish it off. This dressing just kept getting better with age!

1 comment:

  1. I've never made my own mayonnaise, but I've heard that it is delicious. I'll have to wait and try this once I'm not pregnant anymore (since raw eggs and blue cheese are both out!)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs