Tuesday, February 10, 2009

61. Piquant Caper Sauce


Date Cooked: January 25, 2009
Page: 496
Rating: A-

This was the second of two sauces I had prepared for a Roast Leg of Lamb. This caper sauce was pretty much gravy with a bit of bite. The sauce required some work to make and relied heavily on the Roast Lamb for preparation.

The first step in this process was to sauté the leg bones from the roast. I’ll go into agonizing detail of how I retrieved these bones in my next post but for now let’s just say that my OCD tendencies really helped out. The bones sautéed for a bit (and I should have used a larger pan) before I added in the beef stock and let the whole thing simmer for an hour.

Once the roast leg of lamb was done in the oven I was able to complete the remainder of the sauce. The roasting pan was deglazed with some white wine before the deglazed liquid and the lamb stock were strained into a measuring cup. This strained and skimmed of fat liquid was then put back into the saucepan and brought to a boil. A butter flour paste was added to thicken the sauce along with the capers, vinegar and accumulated roast juices. The flavors spent a few minutes getting to know each other until it was ready to serve with the roast.

Rating: A-. Between the Mint Sauce and this one, the lamb had some great accompaniment. I liked this sauce a lot and ate more of this one than the Mint sauce. I think since it went so well on the polenta it was a nicer overall member of the dinner. Obviously the creation of this sauce ties in heavily with the roasting of the lamb. But next time I do a lamb roast I will definitely make this sauce to go with it.

1 comment:

  1. Can't wait to see the rack of lamb! I am not so great in making sauces. But I love the thought of these 2 sauces, especially mint sauce. I make mint coriander sauce for Indian snacks, but never for anything else. Maybe I should experiment more often. :D

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs