Friday, January 30, 2009

56. Roasted Baby Carrots with Rosemary, Thyme, and Shallots

Date Cooked: January 21, 2009
Page: 151

Rating: C

I needed a side dish for some chicken cacciatore that I was preparing and carrots seemed like a nice earthy vegetable to accompany it. Roasted baby carrots seemed very easy to prepare since I would be preoccupied with the chicken dish.

Rosemary, thyme, shallots, oil and salt were tossed with the carrots and then put in a roasting pan and into the oven. Baby carrots are tough. The carrots were supposed to be roasted for 20 minutes but it took nearly 35 minutes until they were ‘done’. Even then they weren’t really tender.

Rating: C. The shallots and herbs were well done before the carrots were tender enough to eat. Not sure if the quality of the vegetables is to blame but I’m not sure how this could have been improved without partly cooking the carrots first and then reducing the roasting time. It had potential and I have three more variations to try it out on

3 comments:

  1. Im always looking for new ways to cook carrots, and this sounds and looks wonderful. Your sour cream cake does also!! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the reason your carrots took so long to cook is that they weren't really baby carrots. They look like what you get bagged at the grocery that are cut down from mature carrots to make them look "baby"

    I've been enjoying your blog and admire what you've been doing.

    I hope my little hint helps with the rest of your carrot recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks jackiecat. That is correct, I used bagged "baby" carrots. I was not aware of this little supermarket deception. Hopefully it will help in the future!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs