Monday, March 23, 2009

72. Chipotle Butter with Lime and Cilantro


Date Cooked: February 14, 2009
Page: 506
Rating: B

This was another condiment to serve with a main dish. This time the dish was going to be a fish one. I am becoming a slow convert to flavored butters and I am realizing that a simple preparation of food can be easily enhanced with a fancy condiment.

This butter was a quick mix of chipotle peppers in adobo sauce mixed with lime zest and some minced cilantro. This was my first time ever using chipotle peppers in adobo sauce and I thought I would like them. Apparently there is something about the smell that made me a little queasy… I was really concerned at first since I didn’t want to ruin perfectly expensive fish but my wife and mother-in-law both agreed it smelled fine and was actually rather nice. Seems it isn’t for me, which is sad because it’s used in several recipes in the book.

The one thing I loved about this butter though was how it melts nicely on the fish. Something very appealing about a small dollop of butter melting on hot food.

Rating: B. The way the chipotle peppers unnerved my senses is why the rating is just a B. Could have been higher without this feeling it instilled in me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs